Monday, February 12, 2007

I'm baaaaack!!!!!!

After a much-longer-than-intended blogging hiatus I'm back on the blogosphere and ready to go! A few quick updates: my whirlwind trip to Europe and Africa last fall was amazing. Just amazing. I met incredible people, went to awesome places and had great experiences all around. I was slightly worried about coming back to DC because I was on such a high from travelling and I thought the responsibilities of school, daily life, staying in one place, dealing with the cold weather, etc. would bring me down. I had a much better than expected few weeks and then things came crashing down around the holidays. Knowing myself, I was over-compensating about my fear of being back in DC and then was left running on empty. Things have evened out much more lately, with just a few bumps here and there, but I am looking forward to getting back to writing and sharing my life with you.

The day I got back from my trip (Thanksgiving) I wrote a list of everything I was greatful for about my trip. An brief excerpt:

1. How smoothly and safely my trip went
2. I had enough money to travel and got partly reimbursed
3. I found a reliable subletter
4. I kept a consistent yoga practice and my practice grew
5. I got a great tan and had "fun" on the beach in Mossel Bay
6. My face did not break out horribly
7. My back was pain-free
8. I learned a lot of lessons on this trip, especially regarding people and relationships
9. I gained new direction regarding my dissertation
10. I have a great external member for my diss committee
11. My committee was ok with delaying my proposal defense
12. I saw all the fossil collections I wanted to
13. I got to spend a night in Bordeaux at the house of a very famous anthropologist whose wife cooked an amazing (vegetarian) meal
14. I got to stay for free in London in a house full of cute boys!
15. I met up with my amazing gal-pal Theresa and her boyfriend Jesse in London
16. I met a cool group of students in Joberg who I ended up staying with as well (thanks Jayne!)
17. Being in France for Joelle and Ben's wedding
18. Meeting Jacqui and making a good friend in Florisbad
19. Meeting Elisabeth in Mossel Bay - a breath of fresh air!
20. Learning the archaeology GIS programs in Mossel Bay
21. Hope letting me sob and be crazy and hugging me while I let it all out
22. Hope bringing me cocktails while I was soaking in the bathtub
23. Andy being there for me and letting me cuddle when I needed a friend
24. All the museum staff who were incredibly helpful
25. Hanging out with all the cool girls in Mossel Bay
26. Meeting Kyle and forming a friendship
27. Jenny meeting my at my apartment when I got back to DC
28. Kevin channeling my energy that I was back in town
29. Ellie's letter waiting for me in the mail
30. And so many more things that I can't even begin to mention!

No comments: