Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wikipedia, my new best friend

On Monday I started teaching a new class - same subject matter but a new group of students. Very different from the first group. There are almost twice as many, mostly males (which, though the feminist in me hates to admit, generally leads to more questions, discussion and opinions), and they seem more motivated and interested in learning purely for the sake of knowledge. They're keeping me on my toes, to say the least. I've already been caught off guard many times (e.g., How long [in real time] does it take for a cell to divide? Do the different processes of cell division happen at different rates? How did different chromosome numbers between species evolve?) - all excellent questions I would love to know the answers to. So I've started going over my powerpoint slides in minute detail before every class, googling every single question I can think of that the students might ask.

No comments: