Thursday, October 19, 2006

Things Just Don’t Make Sense Part 2

I’ve been working at the University of Wits in Joberg looking at some fossil collections under the guidance of an archaeologist there. The first day I went to the University I got a ride with people from my hotel who were going to the university as well. I met with the archaeology prof, looked at the collections, had lunch with the grad students, and left around 3 to check out a new museum that had just opened on campus called the Origins Centre. I left the museum around five, and was trying to figure out a place where I could get a taxi back to my hotel when I realized I could not get out of the campus. First of all, it’s huge, and second of all, it’s surrounded by a gate. I went back to the department but everyone had left for the day.

I wandered around campus, trying to find an exit, when I came upon a gate where cars where going through. For pedestrians trying to get OUT of the campus, there is a door in the metal gate where they swipe their ID cards and it opens. I explained to the guards that I did not have a card since I was only visiting for a few days, and they told me I had to go to the ‘Senate House’ to get a card (at this point it’s about 6pm). I explained again that I just wanted to get OUT of the university and could they please open the gate for me. They replied that the exit was for cars only and so that as a pedestrian, I could not go through. They said that I could shout across the gate for a taxi and then the taxi could come in, pick me up, and I could exit the university in the taxi. I refused to go along with this ridiculous plan and was ready to make a run for it the next time the gate opened for a car. The security guard then suggested that I get into the car of someone leaving the university, pass through the gate in the car, and then they could drop me off on the other side of the gate. Which I did. Aarrrgh.

No comments: