Sunday, October 26, 2008

Life in Nairobi

Life in Nairobi is good. I'm working like crazy and decided to extend my trip, partly because there are more fossils to study than I anticipated and also because I'm really enjoying being here, which is kind of surprising. I was in Nairobi last summer for four or five weeks and was dying to leave towards the end of my trip, which is why I had planned a shorter visit this time. I think a big difference is that this time I have my own apartment, and last summer I was staying at a place with my professors and other students and post-docs - all a great crew, but let me tell you, sharing a bathroom with one of your professors and her husband, and seeing your advisor first thing in the morning when you go the kitchen to make coffee were not super-pleasant experiences. Oh, and I also caught the parasite last summer too. This time I am boiling all of my water.

Also, I will be the first to admit that I am leading a really sheltered life here. I basically just go back and forth between my apartment and the museum and don't have to deal with 'real' Nairobi too much (more about that later). I'm staying in a beautiful apartment that charges about what I pay for my rent in DC, but has, I kid you not, daily housekeeping service (which is why my bed is made), a pool, and on-site laundry service. I also have a huge balcony where I've been doing yoga.
View from my balcony - the pool is in between the two buildings. I went for a swim this afternoon, which is, frankly, how I'd like to be spending my time in October in the future.

No comments: