Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving To Me

Wow, it's been three weeks since I last posted?!?! I was feeling kind of down after the election - I thought it was from being homesick and tired of Nairobi and working at the museum. I'm sure those all played a part, but then I started having the symptoms that I remember all too well from being sick with a parasite last summer. After a week of that (along with a lot of denial) I gave in and started taking a 'just in case' supply of medication that I had. The medication, obviously, works by killing the parasite. This means there are all sorts of unpleasant side-effects to the human as well. So I went through all that and finished the medication on Monday. I have not been feeling any better so I finally decided to see a doctor today but for various reasons that went nowhere. And my symptoms are consistent with the parasite I had last summer but the medication I took does not seem to have worked. So this afternoon I went to the 'chemist' (pharmacist) and got another drug. It's a single-dose treatment, where you take 4 pills at once, and can be pretty sick for the next 24 hours because the drug is so strong. I was reading the accompanying info and it spoke about 'toxicity levels', which is really not something you want to read about when it comes to medicine you're about to take. I spent most of the day at home and am about to take a bath and give myself plenty of time to sleep tonight so that hopefully I will feel better when I wake up tomorrow.

I am envious of all the good food that people in the US will be eating (and enjoying) today. After the chemist I went to the market and made myself a Thanksgiving-inspired dinner:

1 comment:

Mike Janssen said...

Looks delicious. What are the green and the root vegetable?