Thursday, April 17, 2008

Breathing à deux

I’ve been going to a fantastic yoga studio that I pass on my way home from the museum. The instructors are very assertive with their assists – I’ve had hands on parts of my body that haven’t been touched since my ex-boyfriend and I were together. In class yesterday the instructor had his chest pressed against my back for several minutes while we were in a stretching pose. We were breathing deeply and our breath was perfectly in sync. Feeling this made me miss this sort of touch – I think it’s mostly unique to a romantic relationship, when you’re lounging around on the couch or falling asleep together. I don’t know if I’ve ever consciously thought about how this physical connection is so beautiful and intimate, and bonds two people together.

On related note, the past few weeks have been such a good time for me. I feel more grounded and present than I have in a long time, maybe ever. I've been meditating a lot and having some intense experiences - also some really vivid dreams - and I think it's because my emotional senses are so heightened that I've been able to tap into some deep parts of myself. At first this was really cathartic but also wrapped around the pain of losing my relationship, but now (thankfully) the experiences are more centered around the gratefulness and joy I feel for my life and my present circumstances – who I am, lessons I have learned along the way, where my life is headed and who I am becoming.

No comments: