Friday, July 18, 2008

Tell It Like It Is

What a week. So emotional, and I've found it challenging to stay balanced. Class went a lot better though. My aunt 'tell-it-like-it-is' Liz encouraged me to immediately address with the class what had gone wrong last week. My initial reaction was along the lines of 'That's the last thing I want to bring up again.' But I did - at the beginning of class on Monday I told them it was great they asked so many questions, but we were falling behind and I had not explained things as clearly as I would have liked. So I asked them to please limit their in-class questions to ones that were directly relevant to the lecture so that I could ensure we covered all of the material that we needed to. They responded very well and class went smoothly the rest of the week.

In fact, one of my students felt so comfortable that he asked me out for a drink. For a split-second the thought of taking refuge from the ups-and-downs of the week in the arms of a tall, dark, muscular Colombian sounded quite appealing. Only for a split-second.

Today my former roommate Tiffany and I spent the day at a farm in West Virginia. It was beautiful and a lot of fun and a great way to start off the weekend. She took lots of pictures so I'll post those and write about it soon.

No comments: