Tuesday, August 19, 2008

'Life is a series of uncomfortable yoga poses'

I listened to a short talk by Darren Main yesterday (an amazing yoga teacher and writer whom I've quoted on this blog before) and he said something along the lines of the above quote. A typical Darren Main thing to say, as he's a funny guy who has a great way of conveying yogic principles in a humorous and accessible way. I went to a yoga class tonight and was focusing on breathing through a difficult pose when I thought of his words. My breath has been pretty shallow and strained lately, which is a direct reflection of the stress and worry in my mind. I'm definitely feeling the tension in my body, and one of the reasons I wanted to go to class tonight was to regain a sense of breathing deeply and fully. But why limit practicing breathing through difficult situations to 75 minutes a day? There's certainly ample opportunity for this in the non-yoga class parts of life.

Here's the link to Darren's talk - click on the 'play' icon and then 'yoga for stress'.
http://www.yourhealthconnection.com/topic/mmyoga

I also saw one of my friends who told me a funny story - we had seen each other on the street a few days ago and she was with a male friend. After we waved she told him that she knew me from the yoga studio. To which he responded, 'I can tell, she has a great a**.'

No comments: