Sunday, August 20, 2006

Friendship

I've been feeling a bit down lately, partly because of everything that's been going on, as well as the stress of wrapping things up in DC and getting ready for my three-month trip. This means that I've been pretty low-energy, sleeping a lot, not socializing or reaching out to friends, and some days just having a hard time putting on clothes and getting out of my apartment.

I also haven't done yoga in ages. No motivation and/or desire :(

Anyway, tonight two VIPs (very important parties) were going on, one a good-bye party for some dear friends and another a b-day celebration for a dear friend as well. I threw on a dress, put some Madonna in the CD player, got into party mode and set out to party-hop. The good-bye party mostly consisted of my SWW girls and some other good friends in DC. Although our SWW book club/cocktail/dinner nights have fallen apart lately, the bonds between us are still there and going strong. I got a chance to spend time with one of my best friends in DC, catch up with a newer friend, and re-connect from the heart with someone I'd lost touch with lately. The b-day party was a little louder and wilder with many eclectic characters I hadn't met before, and though I didn't stay long, I felt enveloped by the love and support from my two best boys.

I've been tired of getting hurt and feeling so emotional lately. I know that I'm super-sensitive and an emotionally naked person, which is why I tend to get hurt, but lately I've been wondering if it's wiser to be more guarded about who I let in. Is this something that comes with age and experience, I've been wondering, that after getting burned so many times you start to hold people at a distance because you know better. However, connecting with my friends tonight, however brief some of those encounters were, touched my soul. Some people may close up because they don't want to re-experience what might have been emotionally difficult feelings. But for me, being open, and all of the feelings that come with that, is what makes life worth living.

No comments: