Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Teacher learns a lesson

Today was my last day of teaching a summer session college course - yea! I've enjoyed it but it's been a ton of work. I'll miss the students (they were really a great group) but I'm glad to have more of my time back.

I saw my class evaluations at the end of the day and was surprised that some were pretty negative. Two I was expecting from some disgruntled students - one who is a senior majoring in cultural anth but had a hard time getting excited about my class. She did pretty poorly on her quizzes and assignments, and on her evaluation said that the class was like a 7th grade science class where I had the students memorize lots of useless information and that my lectures were boring. Another student put in the minimum amount of effort into his assignments, and when I graded him accordingly he accused me one day after class of grading arbitrarily, even though I had provided the students with a grading rubric on the first day of class. On his eval he said that I graded unfairly and that he never knew what grade he was going to get on his assignments because I wasn't consistent in my grading.

A few negative reviews that I wasn't expecting came from students who seemed to like me a lot and who I bent over backwards to help (after teaching these kids for six weeks, I've learned to recognize their handwriting, and some of them I had let make up labs, turn in assignments late, take quizzes a day late, etc). A few said that I was disorganized and unprepared and inexperienced and boring and that the class should have been taught by a professor instead of a graduate student.

Most of my reviews were great but it is these negative ones that stick in my mind. I put in a lot of effort into making my lectures and assignments fun and interesting, and I'm left with the feeling that the students didn't even care. Why is it that I'm focused on these negative responses, instead of the majority of evals that were quite positive? I guess I expected to get glowing reviews from everyone, about how I was the best teacher, how I had made class so enjoyable and interesting. Why did I want everyone to like me so much? Why was I so attached to the idea of glowing evaluations that would confirm what a great teacher I think I am?

As I was muddling through this disappointment, a few thoughts came to mind. First, my responsibility as a teacher is to make sure that students learn from me, not that they like me. I need to accept that responsibility as a teacher and feel comfortable with it. I shouldn't put effort into a situation for the sole purpose of making others like me. And in fact, that's not what happened - I put in a lot of effort into my class lectures because I was preparing them the best way that I knew how, and in the most effective teaching style that I could think of, not because I wanted the students to be my friends. Second, I can't let outside perspectives influence how I feel about my worth - if I'm looking for external sources to reinforce my confidence, how I feel about myself, etc. then I am going to be disappointed again and again. Third, I shouldn't take it personally...I can take these comments into consideration as constructive criticism for when I teach again.

Fourth...it was a long, tiring summer session, especially since I was working at NG during the day. And my first time teaching a college course. Overall very successful, but I'm glad to have my weeknights back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cath, A few negative evaluations can really put a damper on your enthusiasm for a class. There will even be some after you're a master teacher with 20+ years of experience. Paul gets one or two a semester, usually from someone who's doing poorly, or thinks he/she's an expert on the subject.

You wanted 100% positive evaluations because you put so much time and effort into preparing the lectures and grading! Who wouldn't want an A when she worked hard on a class?

If there's anything worthwhile from an evaluation, consider it. Otherwise, consider the source and forget it. If the students knew as much as you did about your subject, they'd be on the other end of the classroom. Liz

Anonymous said...

You worked very hard to teach this group of undergrad students. Your worth as a teacher is determined by your effectiveness to impart information. Did many students fail the course? Because you were able to be flexible about allowing some students to take the exams at their convenience, means your accomodating. It appears they didn't recognize your flexibility. I think it's about undergrad students limitations and given an opportunity to be critical, they are. Were any of the comments, constructive? D

Anonymous said...

Cath - For the same class I have gotten "great teacher Shara should be cloned to teach all anth classes" and "too difficult, grades unfairly, inflexible, feel sorry for her kids". You will never please everybody because people want different things. But I empathize, obviously for all the fantastic reviews I've gotten over the past 10 years I still remember the crappy few. Hang in there :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Catherine,

I am sorry I haven't called you back yet. I just started my counseling internship, as well as embarked on forming a business and non-profit orginazation over the summer.
I am not sure if you remember that my ex-boyfriend had HPV, which is what gave me cervical cancer, and which led to my complicated pregnacies and my early hysterectomy at 33.
Please do not take this lightly.I never got the virus myself, but after my biopsy came back positive, my Ob scheduled my surgery for the following Friday.
I will call you tomorrow--I am sure this is a difficult time for you.
Love you,
Brooke

PS. Students do not know anything! I have been teaching for 10 years, and they simply want to upset you because they think they can.I am sure you are wonderful at teaching, just like you are at everything else! :)