Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ich liebe Berlin

Just got back from Berlin where I had a GREAT visit. I have to say I did not have high hopes for the city after all of the trouble I had getting my trip together (in addition to the headache of finding a hotel, I had to go to Germany TWICE to pick up my train ticket – not such a big deal since Strasbourg is so close to the border, but the second time was at 6am the day of my trip to Berlin). Also, French people, at least in Alsace, tend to look down on Germany and Germans, so I’ve never had a great impression of the country. And I’ve always been a little afraid of the language - seems that they smash all sorts of words together and leave out all the vowels, making it near impossible to read, pronounce or understand. I was considering canceling my trip all together but the fact that GW was paying for my train ticket to Berlin kept me going.

A few of the reasons I now love Berlin: The weather – it was sunny and beautiful the whole time I was there. My hostel – right across from the Zoologischer Garten train station of U2’s ‘Zoo Station’ fame. The many varieties of beer – served in huge glasses! Seeing remnants of the former wall that divided the city. Walking through the Tiergarten, which is Berlin’s version of Central Park. The amazingly fast and efficient the metro system. The modern conveniences of an American city combined with the history of a European one. And how is it that I was unaware of the fact that German guys are so good-looking???

The fossil collection I examined at the museum was amazing – 3600 specimens, all beautifully preserved, curated and catalogued. The people at the museum were really friendly, and it’s a wonderful place to work. I’ll be going back there for two months next year to study the fossil assemblage for my dissertation!!!

No comments: