Thursday, September 28, 2006

McGrumpy

I am a little cranky today because 1) I am severely hung-over and 2) the faunal collection I’m here to study sucks. I'll explain both. Regarding #1, I am staying with friends of the boyfriend of a national geographic intern who I met over the summer. Her bf is British and from London, and it turns out that they are in the right now staying with his mom. But, they have been gone the past few days camping so they asked some of his friends if I could crash at their place. Not only is this incredibly nice and generous of everybody all around, but to top things off 1) I am staying in a guestroom! with a bed! (I was expecting to sleep on the couch) and 2) the boys are hot! HOT! HOT!!! Last night they made dinner and I drank a ridiculous amount of alcohol and stumbled into bed really late. Today was my first day at the museum...ugh.

Regarding the fauna, it’s not a great collection. Less than 200 specimens, and mostly teeth and antelope horn cores, so doing a 
taphonomic study to look for tooth marks/cut marks on bones will be kind of useless. And, I just found out, this is only a PART of the faunal collection: other specimens are in Zambia and some are also in South Africa. And apparently most of the bones that were excavated have been lost. WHY did I need to come all the way to London to find this out?

well, at least I am staying with a couple of hotties so all in all it is not a bad situation.

2 comments:

worldsaway817 said...

hi cath!!

i thought it time to catch up to you and the 21st century by making a post. i'm not sure if i can make this private, or is the point of a blog that it's all public?

i've read over your postings and have a lot of reactions, but sticking with the single-tasking theme, i'll mention one -- your post about the loss of childhood intimacy with your cousin joelle. i can so relate to that sense of loss, and in fact experience it today with my friends, but in a slightly different version. most are married and have kids. when we hang out one-on-one it is great, but the multiple responsibilities of marriage and parenthood makes it rare we get to hang out with just ourselves. when they are with their spouses and kids i see them change from carefree friend to husband and father, operating out of a different self, far away from the pre-family persona that i have so much fun being around (hope that makes sense). my take on the whole thing is life poses a series of necessary losses as it unfolds, and losing childhood / friendship intimacy is one. the other thing that comes to mind is that finding a significant other with whom you discover an intimacy like the intimacy you find with your closest same-sex friends is really important.

oh yeah, and watch out for handsome german or english boys while drinking too much.

let me know if you get this.

love,

your uncle in hoboken

Anonymous said...

Cath:
Trying to catch up with you is a world wide pursuit these days and I am a few weeks behind your schedule. Your insightful uncle in hoboken speaks wisely of loss of intimacy with friends and lovers. People with children move out of your life into their new selves often leaving us behind as though we were oh so dispensable. Perhaps we are. They've moved on, we haven't. Often they reach out again to us as life events propel them into sudden and uncomfortable change;divorce, death, job change, relocation and they/we seek reattachment. Like barnicles on the bottom of your little boat you can knock them off or late at night, listen to the sounds they make and enjoy their familiar company.

Friends require cultivation, time and understanding. We need to tolerate their decided differences and limitations. Accept their flaws, relish the diversity. Somedays it's easier than others.

October 4 my good friend Dio died. We lived adjoined lives, next door at home and office for most of 21 years. I am engulfed in change.

Be well and at peace. D