Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Struggle to understand (Is understanding possible?)

Today has been a struggle. I called Mike this morning (Why? See the quote below about the hammer).

We have a couples therapy appointment on Friday (we just started this a few weeks ago). Neither of us seems to want to call it quits until after we've had the appointment. We had a strange conversation this morning. I feel that, in general, he is acting in a way that pretty clearly shows he does not want to be in a relationship anymore (and sometimes I feel like my job is to just put my glasses on already so that I can see what is in front of me). He said that if I wasn’t leaving for Berlin maybe we could work things out. But since we only have one appointment in the next week, and then I’m leaving, he doesn’t want things to be up in the air while I’m gone so he does not have much hope that things will work out.

BUT: He does not want to see each other now, while I am here, because he says he has lost the feelings of why we love each other, why we want to be together, what is good in our relationship, and it just makes him sad. I need to focus on these things with him and try to recapture them while we work out our problems in therapy, because I feel that losing these feelings are going to suffocate our relationship regardless of our problems. But he does not want to do this because he says he does not feel the good things anymore, and he can’t make himself feel them. So what does me leaving for Berlin have to do with things – is there the possibility that he might change his mind/feelings so much in just one therapy session, and that after Friday he might want to keep trying when right now he says he doesn't?

I don’t understand his line of reasoning, but I do know that me leaving has nothing to do with ending our relationship. Perhaps he is saying this to comfort himself – transfer some of the blame onto me and my actions – especially actions that involve travel, being in another country, a great city that he had once planned to visit me in, for an entire month. I'm getting too caught up in his words because they stir up the hope that is still inside me. What I really should be doing is focusing on his actions. I think we feel that we both owe it to our relationship to hold out until Friday, but after that it will be time to pull the plug.

No comments: